Saturday, August 2, 2014

Step-bt-step Process for Painting Gulls in Watercolor

Step by step tutorial of my latest painting! 
I'm working from a photo I shot of some gulls at the end of Lake road (Lake Pontchartrain). To begin, I masked out the gulls and the wood and then also sprinkled masking fluid randomly on the background.
For the background, I painted wet-in-wet using granulating colors and added salt for extra texture effect. I sprayed with water to create some blooms, splattered paint, and tipped the paper to create some drips and runs.
After I peeled the masking fluid off of everything, I reapplied it to a few areas where I want to preserve the highlights. Then I painted the first layers of shadow colors on the gulls and initial colors and values on the wood.
 I added some more layers to the wood, and used a damp large flat synthetic brush to lift out some grain patterns in the wood.
I painted in the dark tail and wing feathers and some shadow details on the feathers, and then I lifted a few highlights with a damp brush.
painted a faint hint of color to the legs and beaks, and finally got around to painting the eyes. I left the eyes until near the end because I was afraid of screwing them up.
Ok, I think I might be done. I tweeaked the shadows and lighlights a little more, but I don't want to over paint it so I'm going to have to put it away for a while. In the meanwhile, I need a title for this one -- any ideas? Tell me your suggestions in the comments -- thanks!!

posted by Annie Strack @ 8:55 AM   4 Comments

4 Comments:

At August 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM , Blogger Indigene Theresa said...

Wow, this is so wonderful, that you shared your process with us! This reminds me so much of Summer, you've definitely captured that, Let's go to the beach/Summer vibe! :)

 
At August 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Indigene Theresa said...

I forgot I( think it should be titled, "Beach Vibe" :)

 
At August 5, 2014 at 10:37 PM , Blogger Annie Strack said...

thanks Indigene!

 
At August 26, 2014 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for this tute - it's just great. Title? "The stop work meeting." the gulls are deciding who next is on the list to bombard.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All images and content copyright Annie Strack 2023. Although I occasionally receive compensation for some posts, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.